What Are Some Simple Things I Can Do To Maintain My Car Battery?
1. Staying away from weather extremes by parking in an insulated garage during the winter is a great way to optimize your battery life.
2. If you don't have access to an insulated garage, you can always just insulate the battery. You can find a battery sleeve at most manufacturer or auto parts retailer.
3. Keep your battery clean by removing The clamps and cleanING away grease, dirt and oxidation. If your battery connection is filthy it will have a weaker charge.
4. You can buy an inexpensive solar charger to charge your battery via solar energy. It's best to do this with a monitor so you don't accidentally overcharge the battery.
5. If you're on the last leg of your conventional battery, you can add some distilled water to extend its life for a short time. We recommend getting the battery checked as soon as possible after that.
6. Check to make sure your battery is secure and sits correctly in a clean battery tray. If the battery is able to move around, you run the risk of spilling battery acid over other parts of the engine.
Check out the video below for some automotive battery maintenance tips. For a quick battery test in Newberg, Oregon, use the schedule service form to the right or just pop in to our service department at Newberg Dodge.